DAY 36 - I DREAM IN COLOR
I DREAM IN COLOR [36]
We were cat-sitting at Madeline’s but it wasn’t her real house
and we never saw the cat. Instead we stayed at a formidable
red brick mansion with wrought iron gates and an ivy-trellised
courtyard, I think it was New Orleans.
Out of the blue your mother’s long dead bridge partners barged in
through French doors that opened off the library. The old busybodies
wore magnificent feathered hats in marvelous gaudy colors:
magenta, aquamarine, vermilion, saffron. They left as suddenly
as they arrived, carrying away Madeline’s prized first editions
sequestered under their fluttering headpieces. All kinds
of outlandish strangers wandered in after that and I yelled at you
to lock the doors. A Mardi Gras parade with a captain who looked
like Woody Allen, wearing a kaleidoscope of colored beads,
a sapphire uniform with diamond studded buttons and a pocketful
of shiny doubloons, twirled down St. Charles Avenue.
*comments welcome
Comments
Post a Comment