DAY 81 - FOR THE GIRL IN THE BLUE SUNDRESS IN THE PARKING LOT AT WAL-MART

PROMPT: Pick a favorite image or memory. Ask: When I look at it, what am I remembering? How does this image make me feel? Write your poem as free verse.

This is a summertime image I've always wanted to write about!

81. 

FOR THE GIRL IN THE BLUE SUNDRESS 
IN THE PARKING LOT AT WAL-MART

I think the color was indigo
with tiny embroidered flowers,
a mane of endless yellow hair
and a cowboy hat she pulled off
with a confident flourish.
She linked arms with the skinny boy
in the tight black tee-shirt,
cigarette dangling from his full red lips.
Hot sun pounded down,
blushed the tender skin on her milky shoulders.
She kissed him hard on the mouth,
then disappeared inside the store
in a flash of gold-plated sunlight,
leaving him far behind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

222. CHANGES

157. HAPPY. BIRTHDAY