108. JURASSIC SANDBOX


108.

JURASSIC SANDBOX 1989

Son Tommy built Jurassic Park in

our backyard sandbox this morning.

He hauled his toy dinosaur collection

outside, created a tangled tropical forest

with leafy branches from the lilac hedge.


T. Rex, king of the tyrant lizards

thundered through a primeval river valley,

past a plant-eating brontosaurus

and triceratops with his three horns,

on his way to lunch.

My young son entertains me 

with bursts of seven-year-old humor.

Mom, if a T-Rex is a meat eater

do you think he'd eat at McDonald's?

And then, That's a joke, Mom!

(in case I don't get it).


I marvel at the limitless bounds 

of his imagination.

He's always been extraordinary,

this child of mine.

I feel a gigantic lump of maternal love

choke my throat

and squeeze down to my heart.

Was there ever a boy so splendid or

mother so captivated?


*comments welcome

NOTES: This was written about a much younger version of our son, who is 41 and lives in NY where he's a video producer and does all manner of creative things. I apologize for sounding over the top proud of him. 

I was having trouble with the tense. I'd appreciate any help with that. I also think I need a different ending and I'll work on it at a later date.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

222. CHANGES

157. HAPPY. BIRTHDAY