193. AFTERNOON SHADOWS
193.
AFTERNOON SHADOWS
My dad came by today.
He found me in the backyard
digging dandelions.
I hate the hot sun
but Dad loved it and
that's where we ended up.
I shifted my chair until
I found a corner of late shade.
Then we listened to old show tunes,
something from South Pacific,
on his ancient pocket transistor radio,
the air heavy with the rich smell
of freshly mowed grass and wayward lavender.
A plane soared high above,
tiny glittering silver blip.
The far-off motor buzzed faintly,
a fat robotic summer bee.
I offered a glass of iced tea
with translucent slices
of glossy yellow lemons
but he shook his head no.
Memories joined us
as we sat side by side,
holding hands,
easy and peaceful
like I'd always hoped we'd be.
I dozed in the heat and
when I woke up he was gone.
It was sweet and sad
and I didn't want to let go.
*comments welcome
Comments
Post a Comment