236. HIKING IN NEW JERSEY

*comments welcome




236.


HIKING IN NEW JERSEY
Never a hiker myself, 
our Brooklyn son and daughter-in-law
are veterans who have trekked the world. 
Last weekend they chose a strenuous trail
steep with inclines and treacherous with rocky footing
in Jersey’s Delaware Water Gap. 

They began near the rush of Buttermilk Falls, 
then connected to the Appalachian Trail. 
Along the way, another hiker stopped them 
to warn of a timber rattlesnake sunning on the path ahead.
 
Undeterred, they pressed on, only to stumble upon 
a second rattler coiled on the trail. Startled by the story, 
I hadn’t realized rattlesnakes even called New Jersey home. 
I asked where exactly they had been, wasn't too surprised 
when he sheepishly replied, "Um, Rattlesnake Mountain, Mom."
I should have known.

*comments welcome






HIKING IN NEW JERSEY

Never a hiker myself,
our Brooklyn son and DIL
are veteran hikers having trekked
the world. Last weekend
they picked a strenuous trail
steep with inclines and rocky footing,
in Jersey's Delaware Water Gap.


They began near Buttermilk Falls, then
connected to the Appalachian Trail.
Another hiker stopped to warn about
a rattlesnake sunning on the path ahead.
Undeterred, they continued, ran into
a second rattler on the trail.


Startled, I had not realized
there were rattlesnakes in New Jersey.
I asked where exactly they'd been,
was not too surprised
when he sheepishly replied,
um, Rattlesnake Mountain, Mom.
I should have known.


*comments welcome






HIKING IN NEW JERSEY

Never a hiker myself,

our Brooklyn son and DIL

are veteran hikers having trekked

the world. Last weekend

they picked a strenuous trail

steep with inclines and rocky footing,

in Jersey's Delaware Water Gap.


 They began near Buttermilk Falls, then

connected to the Appalachian Trail.

Another hiker stopped to warn about 

a rattlesnake sunning on the path ahead.

Undeterred, they continued, ran into

a second rattler on the trail.


Startled, I had not realized 

there were rattlesnakes in New Jersey. 

I asked where exactly they'd been,

was not too surprised 

when he sheepishly replied, 

um, Rattlesnake Mountain, Mom. 

I should have known.


*comments welcome







 in New Jersey is the state's tallest waterfall and serves as the starting point for a rugged, scenic loop trail that crosses over nearby Rattlesnake Mountain. 


  • Location: Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (Walpack Township / Layton, NJ).
  • Difficulty: Hard and strenuous. The trail features steep inclines, rocky footing, and notable elevation gains.

  • The Waterfall: You begin at the base of Buttermilk Falls. Wooden stairs and a viewing platform let you see the lower and upper sections of the falls.
  • The Climb: The blue-blazed trail past the top of the waterfall climbs steeply uphill right from the start.
  • Rattlesnake Mountain: The path connects to the Appalachian Trail (AT), which heads north and crosses over Rattlesnake Mountain.
  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    222. CHANGES

    157. HAPPY. BIRTHDAY