234. REFLECTIONS ON MY BIRTHDAY
234.
I forgot the pot of mums they gave me
so Billy dropped it off
along with an old Cool Whip container
crammed with leftover party goodies:
tiny cream puffs and
three different kinds of cheesecake
wrapped in ruffled papers
so they won't stick together.
From my chair on the porch
I watch thin rain drizzle down,
a cube of raspberry cheesecake
and mug of tea on the ledge next to me.
I reflect on the day and my party,
remember other birthdays.
Then I think about next year,
a major milestone.
I refuse to be thought of as
used up or irrelevant. I want to age with grace,
to own my wisdom
and embrace new challenges.
to own my wisdom
and embrace new challenges.
I'm more aware of my mortality now,
there's a sense of urgency to do
all the things I want to accomplish.
Age doesn't make someone
less interesting. Wrinkles matter.
They're the patina of a long life.
I don't know what comes next.
I just know this isn't an ending.
I'm still here, I'm still me.
*comments welcome
Old age is daunting and scary.
Just for today, I'll savor being
right here.
right here.
REFLECTIONS ON MY BIRTHDAY
I forgot the pot of mums they gave me
so Billy dropped it off
along with an old Cool Whip container
crammed with leftover party goodies:
tiny cream puffs and
three different kinds of cheesecake
wrapped in ruffled papers
so they won't stick together.
From my chair on the porch
I watch rain drizzle down,
a glistening cube of raspberry cheesecake
and a tall gin and tonic on the ledge next to me.
I reflect on the day and my party,
remember other birthdays.
Then I think about next year,
going from sixty-nine to seventy,
a major milestone.
I refuse to be thought of as
used up or irrelevant. I want to own my wisdom
and embrace new challenges,
I want to age with grace.
I am still here, I am living.
In my mind I haven't aged.
I'm still 35 or 43, even 61, but not 70.
Seventy is daunting and scary.
I'm more aware of my mortality now,
there's a sense of urgency to do
all the things I still want to accomplish.
But just for today, I'll savor being
on this side of the seven.
on this side of the seven.
Comments
Post a Comment